Saturday, December 3, 2016

Pink and Purple Stripped Wool Knitted Jersey!



I am so proud to present this new knitted jumper!
I am a new knitter, this is only my third project, and although I imagine all projects are special, this is special for me because it means me mastering the technique like a boss!
In the previous jumper, I was learning and struggling till the end. I had to undo many times long and short bits of knitted material, I even accepted many mistakes as part of the project.
 Not in this one.
This is perfect, no flaws, no mistakes. This is me mastering the knitting stitch and the creation of a pattern copying another jumper I had, tight to my body. As in the previous one, I followed the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweaters to replicate a raglan sleeve model. 
 I used the circular needles as the book suggests, so I now have a completely seamless jumper. I think it is the best way to knit a jumper, for the comfort circular needles offer and for the result.

 I took the sleeves with me in my summer travels to Portugal, Czechia and Cadaqués, and knitted in planes (that helps me in my fear to fly a big deal) and trains, beaches and hotels.
I used Katia's 100% merino wool like in the previous one. It's gorgeous to work with and wear. I won't be the last.

As I knitted along, I read Zimmermann's Knitting Without Tears, and I realized Budd's book is indebted to our saint patron of the knitters, Elizabeth Zimmermann, who invented, or at least popularized, the seamless sweaters knitted with circular needles, the technique of closing stitches in the underarm area, among many other things. It is a very interesting book to better understand patterns and freestyling.

The idea and design of the stripes was mine. I made them quite wide, 5 cm, or 16 rows long.
I also included some waist shaping, with decreases and increases that coordinate with the striping (every 8 rows).

I had some tribulations with the neck. The first version was too close and tight, so I undid it all and started anew some cm before. The second version was more becoming but since I simply bound off stitches at the last row, it became too tight too, so I undid it again and finished with a sewn bind off as E. Zimmerman, or Budd recommend.
I recorded all the details of the pattern in Ravely


I still do not master blocking, let us be sincere. I submerge the finished jumper in lukewarm water with some drops of soft soap, rinse and take the excess of water with a towel. Then I put it over a foam mat, with pins stuck marking the shape the original jumper had, and I spent two hours trying to shape it back into there. It is huge after taking it off the towel, and I have to proceed with infinite patience to clap and poke and gently try to absorb the excess into shape. It took a whole day to completely dry, but after so much struggle, the result is perfect. I have been told wool clothes have to be washed only once a year, and also that the piece will keep its blocked shape for 7 or 8 wash-ups, but I think it is going to become huge again next time I wash it. We'll see!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna comment?